Toddler & Preschool
"We must help the child to act for himself, will for himself, think for himself.” Maria Montessori, 1988
The Montessori method is an integral part of the EAC Toddler and Preschool Program. This methodology was established during the late 19th century and continues to develop children to their full potential, as each child’s individuality is deeply respected. The prepared environment allows the child to explore freely, manipulating the materials as their minds expand. The mixed-age program encourages the interaction between children of ages 3-5, which further encourages the learning process. All of our teachers are trained in the Montessori method and are accredited by the American Montessori Society (AMS); all assistants receive a para-professional Montessori course.
All classes in the Toddler and Preschool are given in English, except for the Brazilian Program classes. Children are constantly encouraged to speak, read and write in English. Most children are fluent English speakers and writers by the end of the K5 year.
- 2 year-olds (K2)
- Half-day program
- Teacher/student ratio: 1/6
Educational environment: specially designed to meet the needs of the very young child; all materials are child-sized (chairs, shelves, tables, bathrooms, etc); an amazing amount of free space to encourage movement development; classroom, bathroom and playground are interconnected, fostering a safe and caring environment.
- 3, 4 and 5 year-olds (K3, K4 and K5; mixed-age program)
- All-Day program
- Teacher/student ratio: 1/10
- Extracurricular activities: Art, Music, Physical Education and Computer
- Weekly visits to the School Library (4 and 5 year olds)
- Educational environment: an attractive, aesthetic and complete Montessori environment, specially designed to meet the needs of the 3, 4 and 5 year old child. The environment extends to an outside area, allowing children to work with water, paint and clay activities.
- A Vegetable Garden and Garden Kitchen Projects are also part of the Montessori curriculum. Children are involved in planting, watering, harvesting and preparing meals.
- Brazilian Program